COSW Scholarship Program
The Commission on the Status of Women is dedicated to helping young people achieve their higher education goals. This includes ensuring that students have access to the financial resources they need to earn their undergraduate or graduate degree. The Commission offers three different awards through its scholarship program.
COSW Margaret Canty Scholarship ($800)
This scholarship is awarded based on scholastic excellence and leadership potential, financial need, faculty recommendations, and degree to which applicant’s academic career and extracurricular activities align with the Commission’s mission to promote gender equity and equality on campus or in the community.
COSW Gender & Equity Scholarship ($600)
This award is given to a student who demonstrates scholastic excellence, financial need, and a commitment to promoting gender equity and equality on campus or in the community. Recommendations from faculty members are also considered.
COSW Health Sciences Scholarship ($600)
This scholarship is awarded based on scholastic excellence in field of study related to health or medicine, financial need, faculty recommendations, and degree to which applicant’s academic career and extracurricular activities align with the Commission’s mission to promote gender equity and equality on campus or in the community.
- Click here to download the 2013 Scholarship Application
- Click here to download the 2013 Recommendation Form
Applicants may be undergraduate or graduate students at Wayne State University, and may be enrolled full- or part-time. Preference is given toward students with financial need. Applicants must be enrolled in classes at Wayne State for the 2013-2014 academic year. Students considered academically withdrawn or terminated shall forfeit any COSW scholarships awarded for that academic year. Applicants must currently maintain an overall 3.0 grade point average or above.
Policy on Awarding COSW Scholarships
This policy is designed to inform applicants of the internal process for awarding scholarships offered through
the WSU President’s Commission on the Status of Women (COSW).
- The COSW Scholarships Committee is comprised of members of the COSW.
- Wayne State University students enrolled for the upcoming academic year are eligible to apply for the COSW scholarships.
- Factors for awarding the COSW scholarships include criteria contained in the scholarship descriptions above.
- A student considered academically withdrawn or terminated shall forfeit any COSW scholarships awarded for that academic year.
- Only complete applications will be considered for COSW scholarships. All applications must include the completed scholarship application and recommendation forms from two faculty, instructors, or staff members. Incomplete, missing or inaccurate information shall result in disqualification of an application for the COSW scholarships.
- Scholarship applications and recommendations are confidential. Applicants may not view recommendations submitted by faculty, instructors, or staff.
- The COSW reserves the right to request additional academic information or to interview any applicant for scholarships awarded through the COSW.
All applicants must submit a completed application form and two letters of recommendation. All materials are due by Friday, July 26.
- Find two Wayne State University faculty, instructors, or staff members who can evaluate your academic and leadership potential and who are willing to give you a confidential written reference.
- Recommendation forms MUST be emailed to the COSW from the evaluators’ WSU email accounts by the deadline.
- The subject line of the e-mail message should read: COSW Scholarship Recommendation: [Applicant Name].
- Complete the COSW Scholarship Application Form and save the file. To do so, you must have Adobe Acrobat or Adobe Reader (free) installed on your computer: Click here to download Adobe Reader.
- Email the scholarship application to the chair of Scholarship Committee at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Your application MUST be emailed to the COSW from your own WSU email account by the deadline.
- The subject line of your e-mail message should read: COSW Scholarship Application: [Applicant Name]
The COSW Scholarship Committee will not consider incomplete applications. Only scholarship recipients will be notified. Notifications will take place in September.
Any questions should be directed to the chair of the COSW Scholarship Committee at email@example.com.