The COSW advises Wayne State University’s Office of the President and the larger campus community on issues facing women students, staff, faculty, and alumni including gender equity and equality, social justice, and intersectionality. The Commission advocates for women through programming, university service, outreach, research, and policy recommendations.
The Commission is comprised of six committees to meet these needs:
- The Career Development Committee develops and presents programs that enhance women's career advancement;
- The Gender and Equity Committee addresses issues related to the current status of gender and equity in the campus community;
- The Health and Wellness Committee provides education and support pertaining to physical and mental health issues affecting women;
- The Social Justice Committee brings the Commission's work to the wider campus through programming;
- The Public Relations and Marketing Committee raises awareness about COSW and its events, programs, and activities; and
- The Information and Research Committee examines women's standing in the University Community and provides informational support for issues of concern.
This set of guidelines outlines the purpose and function of the commission.